Postoperative venous thromboembolism (VTE) is a common complication for glioma patients, with an incidence rate of about 20 %. The purpose of this study was to explore the risk factors of acute VTE after glioma surgery, which may provide an essential reference for clinical guidance on the prevention of acute VTE.
Materials and methods
A total of 435 patients who underwent glioma surgery from 2012 to 2021 were included in this study. Duplex ultrasonography was performed routinely 3–5 days after the surgery to define VTE. Univariate and multivariate logistic regression analyses were performed to explore the independent predictor of acute VTE after glioma surgery and use these selected risk factors to construct and validate a nomogram.
Several risk factors for predicting acute VTE after glioma surgery were identified and used to build the nomogram: age, operation time, systemic immune-inflammation index (SII), hypertension, and diabetes mellitus. The area under the curve of the nomogram was 0.834, indicating good discrimination. Hosmer-Lemeshow of the calibration curve was 3.05 (P = 0.98), showing a high degree of agreement between the prediction and actual outcome. Decision curve analysis indicated that the nomogram model was helpful when the incidence of VTE was 5–80 %.
A nomogram to predict acute VTE after glioma surgery was constructed and validated. Clinicians can use this predictive model to achieve risk assessment and take different treatment measures to prevent acute postoperative VTE and improve patients' quality of life effectively.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Thrombosis Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Eosinophils and other peripheral blood biomarkers in glioma grading: a preliminary study.BMC Neurol. 2019; 19 (Epub 2019/12/07) (PubMed PMID: 31805879; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC6894118): 313https://doi.org/10.1186/s12883-019-1549-2
- Compromised health-related quality of life in patients with low-grade glioma.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29 (Epub 2011/10/20) (PubMed PMID: 22010018): 4430-4435https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.35.5750
- Global burden of thrombosis: epidemiologic aspects.. 2016; 118 (Epub 2019/12/07) (PubMed PMID: 31805879; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC6894118): 1340-1347https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.115.306841
- Venous thromboembolism in brain tumor patients.J Clin Neurosci. 2016; 25 (Epub 2015/11/26) (PubMed PMID: 26597608): 13-18https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2015.05.053
- Thromboembolic disease in patients with high-grade glioma.Neuro Oncol. 2012; 14 (Epub 2019/12/07) (PubMed PMID: 31805879; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC6894118)iv73-80https://doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/nos197
- A clinical outcome-based prospective study on venous thromboembolism after cancer surgery.Ann. Surg. 2006; 243: 89-95https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sla.0000193959.44677.48
- Platelet-lymphocyte ratio is a predictor of venous thromboembolism in cancer patients.Thromb Res. 2015; 136 (Epub 2014/12/24) (PubMed PMID: 25533129): 212-215https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2014.11.025
- Development of venous thromboembolism (VTE) in patients undergoing surgery for brain tumors: results from a single center over a 10 year period.J Clin Neurosci. 2015; 22 (Epub 2014/12/24) (PubMed PMID: 25533212): 519-525https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2014.10.003
- Venous thromboembolism and survival in patients with high-grade glioma.Neuro Oncol. 2007; 9 (Epub 2007/03/01) (PubMed PMID: 17327573; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC1871666): 89-95https://doi.org/10.1215/15228517-2006-035
- Venous thromboembolism in high grade glioma among surgical patients: results from a single center over a 10 year period.J Neurooncol. 2014; 120 (Epub 2014/07/27) (PubMed PMID: 25062669): 347-352https://doi.org/10.1007/s11060-014-1557-4
- Venous thromboembolism in brain tumors: risk factors, molecular mechanisms, and clinical challenges.Semin Thromb Hemost. 2019; 45 (Epub 2019/05/02) (PubMed PMID: 31041803; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC6548560): 334-341https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0039-1688493
- Prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism in neurointensive care patients: survey of Canadian practice.J Crit Care. 2009; 24 (Epub 2009/06/09) (PubMed PMID: 19501306): 176-184https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2009.03.010
- Postoperative nadroparin administration for prophylaxis of thromboembolic events is not associated with an increased risk of hemorrhage after spinal surgery.Eur Spine J. 2004; 13 (Epub 2003/11/15) (PubMed PMID: 14615928; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC3468029): 9-13https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-003-0642-8
- Prophylaxis against thromboembolism in spinal surgery.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2008; 128 (Epub 2008/03/11) (PubMed PMID: 18327597): 1365-1371https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-008-0575-0
- The incidence of postoperative thromboembolic complications following surgical resection of intracranial meningioma. A retrospective study of a large single center patient cohort.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2014; 123 (Epub 2014/06/24) (PubMed PMID: 24956544): 150-154https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2014.06.001
- A validation study of a retrospective venous thromboembolism risk scoring method.Annals of surgery. 2010; 251 (Epub 2009/09/26) (PubMed PMID: 19779324): 344-350https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181b7fca6
- The limited utility of currently available venous thromboembolism risk assessment tools in gynecological oncology patients.American journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 2016; 215 (e1-9. Epub 2016/05/02) (PubMed PMID: 27131583; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC5045759): 445https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2016.04.034
- Inflammatory biomarkers in deep venous thrombosis organization, resolution, and post-thrombotic syndrome.J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2020; 8 (Epub 2007/03/01) (PubMed PMID: 17327573; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC1871666): 299-305https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvsv.2019.09.008
- Sialic acid is an inflammation marker associated with a history of deep vein thrombosis.Thromb Res. 2007; 119 (Epub 2006/02/28) (PubMed PMID: 16500696): 73-78https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2005.12.017
- The role of IL-6, IL-8 and MCP-1 and their promoter polymorphisms IL-6 -174GC, IL-8 -251AT and MCP-1 -2518AG in the risk of venous thromboembolism: a case-control study.Thromb Res. 2011; 128 (Epub 2011/05/31) (PubMed PMID: 21620438): 216-220https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2011.04.016
- Clinical significance of the neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio in venous thromboembolism patients with lung cancer.Lung Cancer. 2014; 84 (Epub 2014/02/15) (PubMed PMID: 24524817): 79-85https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2014.01.014
- The dynamic change of neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio is predictive of pathological complete response after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients.Breast Cancer. 2020; 27 (Epub 2020/04/20) (PubMed PMID: 32306184): 982-988https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-020-01096-x
- Prognostic value of preoperative NLR and vascular reconstructive technology in patients with pancreatic cancer of portal system invasion: a real world study.Front Oncol. 2021; 11 (Epub 2021/10/05) (PubMed PMID: 34604028; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC8484969)682928https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2021.682928
- Construction and efficiency analysis of prediction model for venous thromboembolism risk in the elderly after hip fracture.Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao. Yi Xue Ban. 2021; 46: 142-148
- The diagnostic value of the systemic immune-inflammation index for venous thromboembolism in lung cancer patients: a retrospective study.Mediators Inflamm. 2022; (Epub 2022/09/02) (PubMed PMID: 36046761; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC9424048)9215311https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/9215311
- The efficacy of the systemic immune-inflammation index and prognosis nutritional index for the diagnosis of venous thromboembolism in gastrointestinal cancers.Journal of inflammation research. 2022; 15 (Epub 2022/08/24) (PubMed PMID: 35996687; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC9391990): 4649-4661https://doi.org/10.2147/jir.S376601
- A nomogram model to predict the venous thromboembolism risk after surgery in patients with gynecological tumors.Thromb Res. 2021; 202 (Epub 2009/09/26) (PubMed PMID: 19779324): 52-58https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2021.02.035
- Development and validation of a risk assessment nomogram for venous thromboembolism associated with hospitalized postoperative Chinese breast cancer patients.J. Adv. Nurs. 2021; 77: 473-483https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.14571
- A nomogram to predict skip metastasis in papillary thyroid cancer.World J Surg Oncol. 2020; 18 (Epub 2020/07/17) (PubMed PMID: 32669128; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC7366301): 167https://doi.org/10.1186/s12957-020-01948-y
- Inflammation, obesity, and thrombosis.Blood. 2013; 122 (Epub 2013/10/05) (PubMed PMID: 24092932; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC3829115): 3415-3422https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2013-05-427708
- Crosstalk between inflammation and thrombosis.Maturitas. 2004; 47 (Epub 2007/03/01) (PubMed PMID: 17327573; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC1871666): 305-314https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2003.10.015
- Inflammation and coagulation.Crit Care Med. 2010; 38 (Epub 2010/01/30) (PubMed PMID: 20083910)S26-34https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0b013e3181c98d21
- Diagnostic and prognostic value of immune/inflammation biomarkers for venous thromboembolism: is it reliable for clinical practice?.J Inflamm Res. 2021; 14 (Epub 2013/10/05) (PubMed PMID: 24092932; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC3829115): 5059-5077https://doi.org/10.2147/JIR.S327014
- Venous thromboembolism in brain tumor patients.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017; 906 (Epub 2016/09/16) (PubMed PMID: 27628002): 215-228https://doi.org/10.1007/5584_2016_117
- Systemic immune-inflammation index for predicting prognosis of colorectal cancer.World J Gastroenterol. 2017; 23 (Epub 2017/10/05) (PubMed PMID: 28974892; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC5603492): 6261-6272https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v23.i34.6261
- Platelet to lymphocyte ratio and neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio as risk factors for venous thrombosis.Clin. Appl. Thromb. Hemost. 2017; 1076029617733039
- Risk factors for venous thromboembolism and evaluation of the modified caprini score in patients undergoing lung resection.J. Thorac. Dis. 2020; 12: 4805-4816
- Systemic immune-inflammation index predicts prognosis of bladder cancer patients after radical cystectomy.Annals of translational medicine. 2019; 7 (Epub 2019/11/09) (PubMed PMID: 31700867; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC6803204): 431https://doi.org/10.21037/atm.2019.09.02
- The prognostic role of preoperative systemic immune-inflammation index and albumin/globulin ratio in patients with newly diagnosed high-grade glioma.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2019; 184 (Epub 2016/09/16) (PubMed PMID: 27628002)105397https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2019.105397
Y Luo R Deng Q Zhong D Luo W Liu n.d. The prognostic value of inflammation markers in postoperative gliomas with or without adjuvant treatments. Medicine 100(25):e26437.
- Surgical duration and risk of venous thromboembolism.JAMA Surg. 2015; 150: 110
- Duration of surgery independently influences risk of venous thromboembolism after laparoscopic bariatric surgery.Surg. Obes. Relat. Dis. 2013; 9: 88-93
- Risk of venous thromboembolism and operative duration in patients undergoing neurosurgical procedures.Neurosurgery. 2017; 80: 787-792https://doi.org/10.1093/neuros/nyw129
- Mechanisms of venous thrombosis and resolution.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2008; 28: 387-391
- IL (Interleukin)-6 contributes to deep vein thrombosis and is negatively regulated by miR-338-5p.Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology. 2020; 40 (Epub 2013/10/05) (PubMed PMID: 24092932; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC3829115): 323-334https://doi.org/10.1161/atvbaha.119.313137
- Venous thromboembolism in malignant gliomas.J Thromb Haemost. 2010; 8 (Epub 2009/11/17) (PubMed PMID: 19912518; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC2834309): 221-227https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-7836.2009.03690.x
Published online: February 08, 2023
Accepted: February 3, 2023
Received in revised form: January 24, 2023
Received: November 4, 2022
© 2023 Published by Elsevier Ltd.