- •This study sought to analyze the safety and efficacy of DDAVP in patients with antiplatelet-associated ICH.
- •Primary outcome of hematoma expansion incidence was determined by review of CT scans within 24 hours of the baseline scan.
- •Administration of DDAVP did not reduce incidence of hematoma volume expansion in patients with antiplatelet-associated ICH.
- •Future prospective randomized controlled studies are needed to evaluate the efficacy of DDAVP in antiplatelet associated ICH.
Materials and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Predictors of mortality in trauma patients with intracranial hemorrhage on preinjury aspirin or clopidogrel.J. Trauma. 2008; 65: 785-788
- Previous antiplatelet therapy is an independent predictor of 30-day mortality after spontaneous supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage.J. Neurol. 2005; 252: 412-416
- Regular aspirin-use preceding the onset of primary intracerebral hemorrhage is an independent predictor for death.Stroke. 2006; 37: 129-133
- Antiplatelet therapy contributes to acute deterioration of intracerebral hemorrhage.Neurology. 2005; 65: 1000-1004
- The effects of clopidogrel on elderly traumatic brain injured patients.J. Trauma. 2008; 65: 1303-1308
- Novel oral anticoagulants and trauma: the results of a prospective American Association for the Surgery of Trauma multi-institutional trial.J. Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017; 82: 827-835
- Platelet transfusion versus standard care after acute stroke due to spontaneous cerebral haemorrhage associated with antiplatelet therapy (PATCH): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 2605-2613
- Guideline for reversal of antithrombotics in intracranial hemorrhage: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Neurocritical Care Society and Society of Critical Care Medicine.Neurocrit. Care. 2016; 24: 6-46
- Effect of desmopressin on platelet dysfunction during antiplatelet therapy: a systematic review.Neurocrit. Care. 2020; 34: 1026-1046
- The role of desmopressin on hematoma expansion in patients with mild traumatic brain injury prescribed pre-injury antiplatelet medications.Neurocrit. Care. 2020; 33: 405-413https://doi.org/10.1007/s12028-019-00899-x
- Retrospective assessment of desmopressin effectiveness and safety in patients with antiplatelet-associated intracranial hemorrhage.Crit. Care Med. 2019; 47: 1759-1765https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000004021
- Early administration of desmopressin and platelet transfusion for reducing hematoma expansion in patients with acute antiplatelet therapy associated intracerebral hemorrhage.Crit. Care Med. 2020; 48: 1009-1017https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000004348
- Efficacy and safety of a 4-factor prothrombin complex concentrate in patients on vitamin K antagonists presenting with major bleeding: a randomized, plasma-controlled, phase IIIb study.Circulation. 2013; 128: 1234-1243https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.113.002283
- Full study report of andexanet alfa for bleeding associated with factor Xa inhibitors.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 380: 1326-1335https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1814051
- The ABCs of measuring intracerebral hemorrhage volumes.Stroke. 1996; 27: 1304-1305
- Desmopressin improves platelet activity in acute intracerebral hemorrhage.Stroke. 2014; 45: 2451-2453https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.114.006061
- Desmopressin acetate in intracranial haemorrhage.Neurol Res Int. 2014; 298767https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/298767
- Risk of intracranial hemorrhage with concomitant use of antidepressants and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: a nested case-control study.Ann. Pharmacother. 2021; 55: 941-948
- Defining hematoma expansion in intracerebral hemorrhage: relationship with patient outcomes.Neurology. 2011; 76: 1238-1244
- Determinants of intracerebral hemorrhage growth: an exploratory analysis.Stroke. 2007; 38: 1072-1075
- Small intracerebral haemorrhages are associated with less haematoma expansion and better outcomes.Int. J. Stroke. 2011; 6: 201-206
- Cohort analysis of desmopressin effect on hematoma expansion in patients with spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage and documented pre-ictus antiplatelet use.J. Clin. Neurosci. 2019; 66: 33-37https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2019.05.032
- Desmopressin for Reversal of Antiplatelet Drugs due to Haemorrhage (DASH). Identifier NCT 03686121.(Present)