- •Thrombosis in myeloproliferative neoplasms increases mortality and cost of care.
- •There is an inverse relationship between age and cost of care in thrombosis.
- •Length-of-stay is unaffected by the presence or absence of thrombosis.
- •Correlation of patient age and Elixhauser comorbidity index predicts survival.
- •Thrombosis-related hospitalizations among patients with MPNs are on the decline.
- The 2016 revision to the World Health Organization classification of myeloid neoplasms and acute leukemia.Blood. 2016; 127: 2391-2405
- Epidemiology of myeloproliferative neoplasms in the United States.Leuk Lymphoma. 2014; 55: 595-600
- Patterns of survival among patients with myeloproliferative neoplasms diagnosed in Sweden from 1973 to 2008: a population-based study.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 2995-3001
- Myeloproliferative neoplasm (MPN) symptom assessment form total symptom score: prospective international assessment of an abbreviated symptom burden scoring system among patients with MPNs.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 4098-4103
- Thrombotic complications of myeloproliferative neoplasms: risk assessment and risk-guided management.J Thromb Haemost. 2013; 11: 1215-1227https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.12265
- Thrombosis in primary myelofibrosis: incidence and risk factors.Blood. 2010; 115: 778-782https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2009-08-238956
- Thrombosis in myeloproliferative disorders: prevalence, prognostic factors, and the role of leukocytes and JAK2V617F.Semin Thromb Hemost. 2007; 33: 313-320https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-976165
- Risk of arterial and venous thrombosis in 11,155 patients with myeloproliferative neoplasms and 44,620 matched controls: a population-based study.Blood. 2014; 124: 632https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.V124.21.632.632
- Vascular and neoplastic risk in a large cohort of patients with polycythemia vera.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 2224-2232https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.07.062
- Risk factors for arterial and venous thrombosis in WHO-defined essential thrombocythemia: an international study of 891 patients.Blood. 2011; 117: 5857-5859https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2011-02-339002
- Leukocytosis as an important risk factor for arterial thrombosis in WHO-defined early/prefibrotic myelofibrosis: an international study of 264 patients.Am J Hematol. 2012; 87: 669-672https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.23217
- A guideline for management of specific situations in polycythaemia vera and secondary erythrocytosis: a British Society for Haematology Guideline.Br J Haematol. 2019; 184: 161-175https://doi.org/10.1111/bjh.15647
- Venous thromboembolism in patients with essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera.Leukemia. 2012; 26: 563-571https://doi.org/10.1038/leu.2011.314
- Global burden of thrombosis: epidemiologic aspects.Circ Res. 2016; 118: 1340-1347https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.115.306841
- The economic burden of incident venous thromboembolism in the United States: a review of estimated attributable healthcare costs.. 2016; 137: 3-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2015.11.033
- Venous thromboembolism: annualised United States models for total, hospital-acquired and preventable costs utilising long-term attack rates.Thromb Haemost. 2012; 108: 291-302https://doi.org/10.1160/TH12-03-0162
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1130-1139https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mir.0000182534.19832.83
- Goodness-of-fit test for a logistic regression model fitted using survey sample data.The Stata Journal. 2006; 6: 97-105
U.S. Census Bureau. Census 2010 Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File, Tables P1 and P2.
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the prevalence of thrombosis and bleeding at diagnosis of Philadelphia-negative myeloproliferative neoplasms.BMC Cancer. 2019; 19: 184https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-019-5387-9
- Venous thromboembolism: thrombosis, inflammation, and immunothrombosis for clinicians.J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2017; 44: 377-385https://doi.org/10.1007/s11239-017-1528-7
- Thrombosis in myeloproliferative neoplasms.Semin Thromb Hemost. 2014; 40: 348-358https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0034-1370794
- Arterial thrombosis in Philadelphia-negative myeloproliferative neoplasms predicts second cancer: a case-control study.Blood. 2020; 135: 381-386https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.2019002614
- Trends and inpatient outcomes of venous thromboembolism-related admissions in patients with Philadelphia-negative myeloproliferative neoplasms.TH Open. 2019; 3: e203-e209https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0039-1692988
- Comorbidity and its impact on all-cause mortality in Danish patients with myeloproliferative neoplasms from 1994-2013: a population-based matched cohort study.Haematologica. 2015; 100: 99
- Review of the cost of venous thromboembolism.Clinicoecon Outcomes Res. 2015; 7: 451-462https://doi.org/10.2147/CEOR.S85635
- Hospital costs of acute pulmonary embolism.Am J Med. 2013; 126: 127-132https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2012.07.025
- Outcomes and cost of deep venous thrombosis among patients with cancer.Arch Intern Med. 2004; 164: 1653-1661https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.164.15.1653
- Acute and 1-year hospitalization costs for acute myocardial infarction treated with percutaneous coronary intervention: results from the TRANSLATE-ACS registry.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8e011322https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.118.011322
- Health resource utilization and cost associated with myeloproliferative neoplasms in a large United States health plan.Leuk Lymphoma. 2014; 55: 2368-2374https://doi.org/10.3109/10428194.2013.879127
- Essential thrombocythemia treatment algorithm 2018.Blood Cancer J. 2018; 8: 2https://doi.org/10.1038/s41408-017-0041-8
- Polycythemia vera treatment algorithm 2018.Blood Cancer J. 2018; 8: 3https://doi.org/10.1038/s41408-017-0042-7
- Recurrent thrombosis in patients with polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythema: incidence, risk factors, and effect of treatments.Haematologica. 2008; 93: 372-380https://doi.org/10.3324/haematol.12053
- Oral anticoagulation to prevent thrombosis recurrence in polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia.Ann Hematol. 2015; 94: 911-918https://doi.org/10.1007/s00277-015-2330-2
- Ruxolitinib versus best available therapy in patients with polycythemia vera: 80-week follow-up from the RESPONSE trial.Haematologica. 2016; 101: 821-829https://doi.org/10.3324/haematol.2016.143644
- JAK2 inhibitors for myeloproliferative neoplasms: what is next?.Blood. 2017; 130: 115-125https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2017-04-742288
- The JAK2 V617F mutational status and allele burden may be related with the risk of venous thromboembolic events in patients with Philadelphia-negative myeloproliferative neoplasms.Thromb Res. 2015; 135: 272-280https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2014.11.006
- Assessing the thrombotic risk of patients with essential thrombocythemia in the genomic era.Leukemia. 2017; 31: 1845-1854https://doi.org/10.1038/leu.2017.150