- •D-dimer is proposed as a stand-alone test to rule out deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
- •We retrospectively explored the safety and efficiency of such a strategy in a large cohort.
- •Our findings suggest that D-dimer as a stand-alone test may be safe for excluding proximal DVT.
- •This strategy has the potential to simplify and increase the efficiency of the diagnostic work-up.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Diagnosis of DVT: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines, Chest.141. 2012: e351S-e418S (2 Suppl)
- C. National Clinical Guideline, National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence: Guidance, Venous Thromboembolic Diseases: The Management of Venous Thromboembolic Diseases and the Role of Thrombophilia Testing, Royal College of Physicians (UK) National Clinical Guideline Centre., London. 2012
- American Society of Hematology 2018 guidelines for management of venous thromboembolism: diagnosis of venous thromboembolism.Blood Adv. 2018; 2: 3226-3256
- Value of assessment of pretest probability of deep-vein thrombosis in clinical management.Lancet (London, England). 1997; 350: 1795-8
- Comparison of clinical prediction scores for the diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis in unselected population of outpatients and inpatients.Phlebology. 2015; 30: 469-474
- Evaluation of D-dimer in the diagnosis of suspected deep-vein thrombosis.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 1227-1235
- Does this patient have deep vein thrombosis?.Jama. 2006; 295: 199-207
- Diagnostic management of clinically suspected acute deep vein thrombosis.Br J Haematol. 2009; 146: 347-360
- Is pretest probability assessment on emergency department patients with suspected venous thromboembolism documented before SimpliRED ᴅ-dimer testing?.Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2008; 10: 519-523
- Performance of algorithms and pre-test probability scores is often overlooked in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism.Bmj. 2013; 346: f1557
- Appropriateness of diagnostic management and outcomes of suspected pulmonary embolism.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 144: 157-164
- Evaluation of the new simple and objective clinical decision rule “I-DVT” in patients with clinically suspected acute deep vein thrombosis.Thrombosis Research. 2016; 141: 112-118
- Application of a decision rule and a D-dimer assay in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism.Thromb Haemost. 2010; 103: 849-854
- Knowledge of the D-dimer test result influences clinical probability assessment of pulmonary embolism.Thrombosis Research. 2010; 126: e271-e275
- Diagnosis and treatment of deep-vein thrombosis.Cmaj. 2006; 175: 1087-1092
- D-Dimer for venous thromboembolism diagnosis: 20 years later.J Thromb Haemost. 2008; 6: 1059-1071
- Using an age-dependent D-dimer cut-off value increases the number of older patients in whom deep vein thrombosis can be safely excluded.Haematologica. 2012; 97: 1507-1513
- Age-adjusted D-dimer cut-off in the diagnostic strategy for deep vein thrombosis: a systematic review.Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2017; 77: 568-573
- Age-adjusted D-dimer to rule out deep vein thrombosis: findings from the PALLADIO algorithm.J Thromb Haemost. 2018; 16: 271-278
- Questioning the use of an age-adjusted D-dimer threshold to exclude venous thromboembolism: analysis of individual patient data from two diagnostic studies.J Thromb Haemost. 2016; 14: 1953-1959
- Safety of D-dimer as a stand-alone test for the exclusion of deep vein thrombosis compared to other strategies.J Thromb Haemost. 2018; 16: 2471-2481
- Rapid quantitative D-dimer to exclude pulmonary embolism: a prospective cohort management study.J Thromb Haemost. 2016; 14: 504-509
- Non-invasive diagnosis of venous thromboembolism in outpatients.Lancet (London, England). 1999; 353: 190-5
- Antithrombotic therapy for VTE disease: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines.Chest. 2012; 141: e419S-e496S
- Management of distal deep vein thrombosis.Thrombosis research. 2017; 149: 48-55
- Decrease in sensitivity of D-dimer for acute venous thromboembolism after starting anticoagulant therapy.Blood Coagulation & Fibrinolysis : An International Journal in Haemostasis and Thrombosis. 2002; 13: 241-246
- Prothrombin fragment 1 + 2, thrombin-antithrombin III complexes and D-dimers in acute deep vein thrombosis: effects of heparin treatment.Br J Haematol. 1991; 78: 421-424
- Accuracy of compression ultrasound in screening for deep venous thrombosis in acutely ill medical patients.Thromb Haemost. 2007; 97: 191-194
- Diagnosis of suspected venous thromboembolism.Hematology. American Society of Hematology. Education Program. 2016; 2016: 397-403
- Clinical validity of a negative venogram in patients with clinically suspected venous thrombosis.Circulation. 1981; 64: 622-625
- Exclusion of deep vein thrombosis using the Wells rule in clinically important subgroups: individual patient data meta-analysis.BMJ. 2014; 348: g1340
- Safety and sensitivity of two ultrasound strategies in patients with clinically suspected deep venous thrombosis: a prospective management study.J Thromb Haemost. 2009; 7: 2035-2041
- Risk of deep vein thrombosis following a single negative whole-leg compression ultrasound: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Jama. 2010; 303: 438-445
- Potential of an age adjusted D-dimer cut-off value to improve the exclusion of pulmonary embolism in older patients: a retrospective analysis of three large cohorts, BMJ 340.2010
- Choosing wisely: avoiding too much medicine, Canadian family physician Medecin de famille canadien.60(10). 2014: 873-6-884-7
- Limitations of D-dimer testing in unselected inpatients with suspected venous thromboembolism.The American Journal of Medicine. 2003; 114: 276-282
- Appropriate use of D-dimer in hospital patients.The American Journal of Medicine. 2010; 123: 17-19
☆Full Length Article