The prevalence of obesity has more than doubled in recent decades, including 35% of the US population [
]. In the last decade, bariatric surgery (BS) has become the mainstay of treatment for morbid obesity, due to its demonstrated efficacy in achieving significant weight loss and in improving obesity-related comorbidities [
- World Health Organization
World Health Organization Fact Sheet N311: Obesity and Overweight.
]. As the prevalence of obesity continues to rise worldwide, the utilization of bariatric procedures has been increasing dramatically, with over 200,000 bariatric surgeries performed annually in the United States [
- Buchwald H.
- Avidor Y.
- Braunwald E.
- et al.
Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
JAMA. 2004; 292: 1724-1737
- Ponce J.
- Nguyen N.T.
- Hutter M.
- Sudan R.
- Morton J.M.
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery estimation of bariatric surgery procedures in the United States, 2011–2014.
Surg. Obes. Relat. Dis. 2015; 11: 1199-1200
Abbreviations:BS (bariatric surgery), DOACs (direct-acting oral anticoagulants), VTE (venous thromboembolism)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Thrombosis Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- World Health Organization Fact Sheet N311: Obesity and Overweight.(accessed: 18 February 2017)
- Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1724-1737
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery estimation of bariatric surgery procedures in the United States, 2011–2014.Surg. Obes. Relat. Dis. 2015; 11: 1199-1200
- Venous thromboembolism in bariatric surgery patients: an update of risk and prevention.Surg. Obes. Relat. Dis. 2007; 3: 97-102
- Abdominal thrombotic complications following bariatric surgery.Surg. Obes. Relat. Dis. 2017; 13: 78-84
- Venous thromboembolism after bariatric surgery performed by bariatric surgery center of excellence participants: analysis of the bariatric outcomes longitudinal database.Surg. Obes. Relat. Dis. 2011; 7: 181-188
- Warfarin users prone to coagulopathy in first 30 days after hospital discharge from gastric bypass.Obes. Surg. 2013; 23: 1515-1519
- Assessment of the procoagulant potential after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a potential role for extended thromboprophylaxis.Surg. Obes. Relat. Dis. 2018; 14: 1-7
- Evolving treatments for arterial and venous thrombosis: role of the direct oral anticoagulants.Circ. Res. 2016; 118: 1409-1424
- Pros and cons of new oral anticoagulants.Hematol Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2013; 2013: 464-470
- Influence of bariatric surgery on the use and pharmacokinetics of some major drug classes.Obes. Surg. 2013; 23: 819-825
- Long-term pharmacotherapy considerations in the bariatric surgery patient.Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm. 2016; 73: 1230-1242
- The Effect of Bariatric Surgery on Directacting Oral Anticoagulant Drug Levels.2017 (Thromb Res)
- Highlights of Prescribing Information.2016 (Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/020659s064,022417s016lbl.pdf. Last accessed: 26 February 2017)
- Pharmacokinetics of rivaroxaban after bariatric surgery: a case report.J. Thromb. Thrombolysis. 2013; 36: 533-535
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of single doses of rivaroxaban in obese patients prior to and after bariatric surgery.Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2017; 83: 1466-1475
- Oral Anticoagulant Use after Bariatric Surgery: A Literature Review and Clinical Guidance.2017 (Am J Med)
- Subtherapeutic anticoagulation with dabigatran following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery.J. Cardiol. Cases. 2013; 8 (e49–e50)
- Novel oral anticoagulants after gastric bypass surgery: caveat emptor.Int J Case Reports Images. 2013; 4: 663-665
- Use of the direct oral anticoagulants in obese patients: guidance from the SSC of the ISTH.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2016; 14: 1308-1313
Published online: March 01, 2018
Accepted: February 27, 2018
Received: February 26, 2018
© 2018 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.