- •Current guidelines recommend to anticoagulate SVT only if symptomatic.
- •We assessed the rate and severity of VTE recurrences and major bleeding during therapy.
- •During anticoagulation, the severity of bleeding may outweigh the severity of recurrences.
- •Further studies should identify what SVT patients may benefit from anticoagulation.
Abbreviations:SVT (splanchnic vein thrombosis), VTE (venous thromboembolism), DVT (deep vein thrombosis), PE (pulmonary embolism)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Thrombosis Research
- Splanchnic vein thrombosis.Semin. Thromb. Hemost. 2015; 41: 494-502
- Managing unusual presentations of venous thromboembolism.J. Thromb. Thrombolysis. 2015; 39: 304-310
- Guidance for the management of venous thrombosis in unusual sites.J. Thromb. Thrombolysis. 2016; 41: 129-143
- Antithrombotic therapy for VTE disease: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed.: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines.Chest. 2012; 141: e419S-e494S
- Vascular disorders of the liver.Hepatology. 2009; 49: 1729-1764
- Survival and recurrence in patients with splanchnic vein thromboses.Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2010; 8: 200-205
- International Registry on Splanchnic Vein Thrombosis (IRSVT) study group. Clinical history and antithrombotic treatment of incidentally detected splanchnic vein thrombosis: a multicentre, international prospective registry.Lancet Haematol. 2016; 3: e267-275
- Management of patients with acute venous thromboembolism: findings from the RIETE registry.Pathophysiol. Haemost. Thromb. 2003; 33: 330-334
- VTE registry: what can be learned from RIETE?.Rambam Maimonides Med. J. 2014; 5e0037
- DVT management and outcome trends, 2001 to 2014.Chest. 2016; 150: 374-383
- Trends in the management and outcomes of acute pulmonary embolism: analysis from the RIETE Registry.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2016; 67: 162-170
- Prediction of creatinine clearance from serum creatinine.Nephron. 1976; 16: 31-41
- Risk of recurrence of unusual site venous thromboembolism.Hamostaseologie. 2013; 33: 225-231
- Current outcome of portal vein thrombosis in adults: risk and benefit of anticoagulant therapy.Gastroenterology. 2001; 120: 490-497
- Natural history of mesenteric venous thrombosis in patients treated with vitamin K antagonists: a multi-centre, retrospective cohort study.Thromb. Haemost. 2009; 102: 501-504
Riva N, Ageno W, Poli D, Testa S, Rupoli S, Santoro R, Lerede T, Piana A, Carpenedo M, Nicolini A, Ferrini PM, Martini G, Mangione C, Contino L, Bonfanti C, Gresele P, Tosetto A. Recurrent thrombotic events after discontinuation of vitamin K antagonist treatment for splanchnic vein thrombosis: a multicenter retrospective cohort study. Gastroenterol. Res. Pract. 2015; 2015: 620217.
- Antithrombotic treatment of splanchnic vein thrombosis: results of an international registry.Semin. Thromb. Hemost. 2014; 40: 99-105
- Long-term clinical outcomes of splanchnic vein thrombosis: results of an international registry.JAMA Intern. Med. 2015; 175: 1474-1480
- Managing challenging patients with venous thromboembolism: a practical, case-based approach.Pol. Arch. Intern. Med. 2017; 127: 41-46
- Efficacy and safety of anticoagulation on patients with cirrhosis and portal vein thrombosis.Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2012; 10: 776-783
- Portal vein thrombosis relevance on liver cirrhosis: Italian Venous Thrombotic Events Registry.Intern. Emerg. Med. 2016; 11: 1059-1066