- •There are seven different scales for diagnosing PTS in clinical research.
- •Based on the existing evidence, the Villalta scale seems to be the preferred tool.
- •The specificity, and to a lesser extent, the sensitivity of this tool is unclear.
- •A gold standard method for PTS assessment has not been established.
- •Existing reports on PTS must still be interpreted with these limitations in mind.
Post-thrombotic syndrome (PTS) is the most common long-term complication after deep vein thrombosis (DVT) developing in up to 70% of the patients. PTS is diagnosed on the basis of typical symptoms and signs of the lower limb with a previous DVT, but no objective diagnostic test exists. A number of diagnostic scales have been developed primarily for research purposes. An optimal diagnostic test for PTS should be reliable and easy to use, sensitive and specific, able to grade PTS severity, and to identify changes over time. We have identified reports on seven diagnostic scales that have been used for the diagnosis of PTS; the Widmer classification, the Clinical-Etiological-Anatomical-Pathological (CEAP) classification, the Venous Clinical Severity Score (VCSS), the Brandjes scale, the Ginsberg measure, the Villalta scale, and the Patient-reported Villalta scale. The aim of this paper was to review and present the existing diagnostic scales for PTS in adults and their utility in clinical studies.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Thrombosis Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Comparison of the Villalta and Ginsberg clinical scales to diagnose the post-thrombotic syndrome: correlation with patient-reported disease burden and venous valvular reflux.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2006; 4: 907-908
- Additional catheter-directed thrombolysis for high proximal deep vein thrombosis; 5 year results of a randomized controlled trial (the CaVenT study).J. Thromb. Haemost. 2015; 13: 1-997
- Definition of the post-thrombotic syndrome, differences between existing classifications.Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 2005; 30: 404-414
- Compression stockings to prevent post-thrombotic syndrome: a randomised placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2014; 383: 880-888
- Determinants of health-related quality of life during the 2 years following deep vein thrombosis.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2008; 6: 1105-1112
- Economic burden and cost determinants of deep vein thrombosis during 2 years following diagnosis: a prospective evaluation.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2011; 9: 2397-2405
- Predictive value of markers of inflammation in the postthrombotic syndrome: a systematic review: inflammatory biomarkers and PTS.Thromb. Res. 2015; 136: 289-297
- Long-term outcome after additional catheter-directed thrombolysis versus standard treatment for acute iliofemoral deep vein thrombosis (the CaVenT study): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2012; 379: 31-38
- Risk of post-thrombotic syndrome after subtherapeutic warfarin anticoagulation for a first unprovoked deep vein thrombosis: results from the REVERSE study.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2012; 10: 2039-2044
- Post-thrombotic syndrome, recurrence, and death 10 years after the first episode of venous thromboembolism treated with warfarin for 6 weeks or 6 months.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2006; 4: 734-742
- How I treat postthrombotic syndrome.Blood. 2009; 114: 4624-4631
- Definition of post-thrombotic syndrome of the leg for use in clinical investigations: a recommendation for standardization.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2009; 7: 879-883
- Scoring systems for the post-thrombotic syndrome.J. Vasc. Surg. 2013; 57: 254-261
- Sd. Venen-, Arterien-, Krankheiten, koronaire Herzkrankhei bei berufstatigen.Bern, Verlag Hans Huber1981
- Prepared by the subcommittee on reporting standards in venous disease, ad hoc committee on reporting standards, Society for Vascular Surgery/North American Chapter, International Society for Cardiovascular Surgery.J. Vasc. Surg. 1988; 8: 172-181
- Reporting standards in venous disease: an update. International Consensus Committee on Chronic Venous Disease.J. Vasc. Surg. 1995; 21: 635-645
- Performance characteristics of the venous clinical severity score.J. Vasc. Surg. 2002; 36: 889-895
- Revision of the venous clinical severity score: venous outcomes consensus statement: special communication of the American Venous Forum Ad Hoc Outcomes Working Group.J. Vasc. Surg. 2010; 52: 1387-1396
- Randomised trial of effect of compression stockings in patients with symptomatic proximal-vein thrombosis.Lancet. 1997; 349: 759-762
- Postthrombotic syndrome after hip or knee arthroplasty: a cross-sectional study.Arch. Intern. Med. 2000; 160: 669-672
- Prevention and treatment of postphlebitic syndrome: results of a 3-part study.Arch. Intern. Med. 2001; 161: 2105-2109
- Assessment of validity and reproducibility of a clinical scale for the post thrombotic syndrome (abstract).Haemostasis. 1994; 24: 158a
- Development and validation of a tool for patient reporting of symptoms and signs of the post-thrombotic syndrome.Thromb. Haemost. 2016; 115: 361-367
- Post-thrombotic syndrome after primary event of deep venous thrombosis 10 to 20 years ago.Thromb. Res. 2001; 101: 23-33
- Diagnosis of chronic venous disease of the lower extremities: the “CEAP” classification.Mayo Clin. Proc. 1996; 71: 338-345
- Revision of the CEAP classification for chronic venous disorders: consensus statement.J. Vasc. Surg. 2004; 40: 1248-1252
- The postthrombotic syndrome in relation to venous hemodynamics, as measured by means of duplex scanning and strain-gauge plethysmography.J. Vasc. Surg. 1999; 29: 1071-1076
- The post-thrombotic syndrome: incidence and prognostic value of non-invasive venous examinations in a six-year follow-up study.Thromb. Haemost. 2005; 94: 825-830
- Factors predicting development of post-thrombotic syndrome in patients with a first episode of deep vein thrombosis: preliminary report.Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 2011; 41: 126-133
- Endovascular treatment in postthrombotic syndrome.Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 2010; 44: 356-360
- Validation of the Villalta scale in assessing post-thrombotic syndrome using clinical, duplex, and hemodynamic comparators.J. Vasc. Surg. Venous Lymphat. Disord. 2014; 2: 8-14
- Endovascular treatment of iliofemoral chronic post-thrombotic venous flow obstruction.J. Vasc. Surg. Venous Lymphat. Disord. 2014; 2: 2-7
- Health-related quality of life after catheter-directed thrombolysis for deep vein thrombosis: secondary outcomes of the randomised, non-blinded, parallel-group CaVenT study.BMJ Open. 2013; 3e002984
- One versus two years of elastic compression stockings for prevention of post-thrombotic syndrome (OCTAVIA study): randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2016; i2691: 353
- Measurement properties of the Villalta scale to define and classify the severity of the post-thrombotic syndrome.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2009; 7: 884-888
- A comparison of Villalta-Prandoni scale and venous clinical severity score in the assessment of post thrombotic syndrome.Ann. Vasc. Surg. 2014; 28: 313-317
- Prevalence of primary chronic venous disease: the Bulgarian experience.Int. Angiol. 2009; 28: 303-310
- Comparison of the Villalta post-thrombotic syndrome score in the ipsilateral vs. contralateral leg after a first unprovoked deep vein thrombosis.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2012; 10: 1036-1042
- Role of coexisting contralateral primary venous disease in development of post-thrombotic syndrome following catheter-based treatment of iliofemoral deep venous thrombosis.J. Vasc. Surg. Venous Lymphat. Disord. 2015; 3: 354-357
- The post-thrombotic syndrome and compression therapy.Phlebology. 2014; 29: 83-89
- The postthrombotic syndrome: evidence-based prevention, diagnosis, and treatment strategies: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2014; 130: 1636-1661
Published online: October 28, 2017
Accepted: October 27, 2017
Received in revised form: October 9, 2017
Received: May 15, 2017
© 2017 Published by Elsevier Ltd.