- •The evidence on the diagnostic management of upper extremity deep vein thrombosis is scarce.
- •Only one study evaluated the use of a diagnostic algorithm, similar to the one used for deep vein thrombosis of the lower extremities.
- •Further studies are needed to validate the algorithm, especially in high-risk subgroups.
Abbreviations:AUROC (area under the receiver operating characteristic curve), CI (confidence interval), CVC (central venous catheter), DVT (deep vein thrombosis), PE (pulmonary embolism), UEDVT (upper extremity deep vein thrombosis)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.Lancet. 2016; 388: 3060-3073
- A clinical prediction score for upper extremity deep venous thrombosis.Thromb. Haemost. 2008; 99: 202-207
- Safety and feasibility of a diagnostic algorithm combining clinical probability, d-dimer testing, and ultrasonography for suspected upper extremity deep venous thrombosis: a prospective management study.Ann. Intern. Med. 2014; 160: 451-457
- d-dimer for the diagnosis of upper extremity deep and superficial venous thrombosis.Thromb. Res. 2015; 135: 673-678
- Whole-arm ultrasound to rule out suspected upper-extremity deep venous thrombosis in outpatients.JAMA Intern. Med. 2015; 175: 1226-1227
- Accuracy of diagnostic tests for clinically suspected upper extremity deep vein thrombosis: a systematic review.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2010; 8: 684-692
- Upper extremity deep venous thrombosis in the population-based Malmö thrombophilia study (MATS). Epidemiology, risk factors, recurrence risk, and mortality.Thromb Res. 2010; 125: e335-e338
- Upper extremity deep vein thrombosis.Curr. Opin. Pulm. Med. 1999; 5: 222-226
- Upper extremity deep venous thrombosis and its impact on morbidity and mortality rates in a hospital-based population.J. Vasc. Surg. 1997; 26: 853-860
- Spectrum of upper-extremity deep venous thrombosis in a community teaching hospital.Heart Lung. 2000; 29: 113-117
- MAISTHRO registry, Hereditary and acquired thrombophilia in patients with upper extremity deep-vein thrombosis. Results from the MAISTHRO registry.Thromb. Haemost. 2008; 100: 440-446
- Upper-extremity deep vein thrombosis. Risk factors, diagnosis, and complications.Arch. Intern. Med. 1997; 157: 57-62
- Upper extremity versus lower extremity deep venous thrombosis.Am. J. Surg. 1997; 174: 214-217
- Old and new risk factors for upper extremity deep venous thrombosis.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2005; 3: 2471-2478
- Current management strategies and long-term clinical outcomes of upper extremity venous thrombosis.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2016; 14: 973-981
- Deep vein thrombosis of the axillary-subclavian veins: epidemiologic data, effects of different types of treatment and late sequelae.Eur. J. Vasc. Surg. 1988; 2: 161-165
- A comprehensive review of Paget-Schroetter syndrome.J. Vasc. Surg. 2010; 51: 1538-1547
- Risk factors for deep venous thrombosis of the upper extremities.Ann. Intern. Med. 1997; 126: 707-711
- Risk factors and recurrence rate of primary deep vein thrombosis of the upper extremities.Circulation. 2004; 110: 566-570
- Risk of symptomatic DVT associated with peripherally inserted central catheters.Chest. 2010; 138: 803-810
- Incidence and risk factors of early venous thrombosis associated with permanent pacemaker leads.J. Cardiovasc. Electrophysiol. 2004; 15: 1258-1262
- Intravascular complications of central venous catheterization by insertion site.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 373: 1220-1229
- Peripherally inserted central catheter-related deep vein thrombosis: contemporary patterns and predictors.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2014; 12: 847-854
- Comparison of peripherally inserted central venous catheters (PICC) versus subcutaneously implanted port-chamber catheters by complication and cost for patients receiving chemotherapy for non-haematological malignancies.Support Care Cancer. 2014; 22: 121-128
- Limited usefulness of d-dimer in suspected deep vein thrombosis of the upper extremities.Blood Coagul. Fibrinolysis. 2006; 17: 225-226
- Diagnostic accuracy of d-dimer test for exclusion of venous thromboembolism: a systematic review.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2007; 5: 296-304
- Diagnosis and management of acute deep vein thrombosis: a joint consensus document from the European society of cardiology working groups of aorta and peripheral circulation and pulmonary circulation and right ventricular function.Eur. Heart J. 2017;
- Role of CT venography in the diagnosis and treatment of benign thoracic central venous obstruction.Korean J. Radiol. 2003; 4: 146-152
- Magnetic resonance venography in consecutive patients with suspected deep vein thrombosis of the upper extremity: initial experience.Acta Radiol. 2004; 45: 38-43
- Age-adjusted d-dimer cutoff levels to rule out pulmonary embolism: the ADJUST-PE study.JAMA. 2014; 311: 1117-1124
- Improving the diagnostic management of upper extremity deep vein thrombosis.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2017; 15: 66-73
- ARMOUR study investigators, a clinical decision rule and d-dimer testing to rule out upper extremity deep vein thrombosis in high-risk patients.Thromb. Res. 2016; 148: 59-62