- •The mechanism of TP following TAVI is complex and mediated by some platelet as well as blood coagulation activation factors.
- •Platelet reduction shortly after TAVI procedure might be related to the amount of contrast.
- •Enhanced platelet activation following TAVI might justify the use of the second antiplatelet agent after the procedure.
Material and methods
Abbreviations:F1+2 (prothrombin fragments 1+2), MPV (mean platelet volume), PF-4 (platelet factor 4), POD (postoperative day), PS (P-selectin), TAVI (transcatheter aortic valve implantation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Acquired thrombocytopenia after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: clinical correlates and association with outcomes.Eur. Heart J. 2014; 35: 2663-2671
- Thrombocytopenia and perioperative complications after stentless freedom solo valve implantation.Kardiol. Pol. 2013; 71: 334-340
- Acute and chronic changes in platelet volume and count after cardiopulmonary bypass induced thrombocytopenia in man.Thromb. Haemost. 1987; 57: 55-58
- Decline in platelet count in patients treated by percutaneous coronary intervention: definition, incidence, prognostic importance, and predictive factors.Eur. Heart J. 2010; 31: 1079-1087
- Predictors and clinical impact of pre-existing and acquired thrombocytopenia following transcatheter aortic valve replacement.Catheter. Cardiovasc. Interv. 2015; 85: 118-129
- Major thrombocytopenia after balloon-expandable transcatheter aortic valve replacement: prognostic implications and comparison to surgical aortic valve replacement.Catheter. Cardiovasc. Interv. 2015; 85: 130-137
- Assessment of the markers of platelet and coagulation activation following transcatheter closure of atrial septal defects.Int. J. Cardiol. 2005; 98: 107-112
- The role of PF4 (CXCL4) in the process of clot formation.Acta Haematol. Pol. 2012; 43: 150-154
- Mean platelet volume on admission predicts impaired reperfusion and long-term mortality in acute myocardial infarction treated with primary percutaneous coronary intervention.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2005; 46: 284-290
- Mean platelet volume as a predictor of cardiovascular risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2010; 8: 148-156
- Incidence and implications of idiopathic thrombocytopenia following transcatheter aortic valve replacement with the Edwards Sapien(©) valves: a single center experience.Catheter. Cardiovasc. Interv. 2014; 83: 633-641
- Updated standardized endpoint definitions for transcatheter aortic valve implantation: the Valve Academic Research Consortium-2 consensus document (VARC-2).J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2013; 145: 6-23
- Impact of mean platelet volume on combined safety endpoint and vascular and bleeding complications following percutaneous transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve implantation.Biomed. Res. Int. 2013; 645265
- Effect of transcatheter (via femoral artery) aortic valve implantation on the platelet count and its consequences.Am. J. Cardiol. 2013; 111: 1619-1624
- Predictors of 6-month poor clinical outcomes after transcatheter aortic valve implantation.Arch. Cardiovasc. Dis. 2014; 107: 10-20
- Thrombocytopenia and iodinated contrast.J. Investig. Allergol. Clin. Immunol. 2009; 19: 511-512
- Acute severe thrombocytopenia following non-ionic low-osmolarity intravenous contrast medium injection.Korean J. Radiol. 2012; 13: 505-509
- TAVI induces an elevation of hemostasis-related biomarkers, which is not causative for post-TAVI thrombocytopenia.Int. J. Cardiol. 2016; 221: 719-725
- Thromboinflammatory response and predictors of outcomes in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement.J. Thromb. Thrombolysis. 2016; 41: 384-393
- Platelet activation due to hemodynamic shear stresses: damage accumulation model and comparison to in vitro measurements.ASAIO J. 2008; 54: 64-72
- Prothrombin fragments in cardiovascular disease.Adv. Clin. Chem. 2010; 51: 1-23
- P-selectin and platelet clearance.Blood. 1998; 92: 4446-4452
- Platelet activation after sorin freedom solo valve implantation: a comparative study with Carpentier-Edwards Perimount Magna.J. Heart Valve Dis. 2014; 23: 777-782
- Human platelet factor 4 and its C-terminal peptides: heparin binding and clearance from the circulation.Thromb. Haemost. 1990; 63: 493-498
- Production of soluble P-selectin by platelets and endothelial cells.Biochemistry (Mosc). 1999; 64: 1326-1335
- Hypothesis: is soluble P-selectin a new marker of platelet activation?.Atherosclerosis. 1997; 128: 135-138
- Soluble P-selectin in atherosclerosis: a comparison with endothelial cell and platelet markers.Thromb. Haemost. 1997; 77: 1077-1080
- Effects of heparin and aspirin on circulating P-selectin, E-selectin and von Willebrand factor levels in healthy men.Atherosclerosis. 2001; 155: 389-393
- Hypercoagulable states in cardiovascular disease.Circulation. 2008; 118: 2286-2297