Unexplained infertility represents one of the most common diagnoses in fertility care. Attention is being paid to the association between inherited thrombophilia and infertility causes. In this study we investigated the prevalence of inherited thrombophilia according to infertility causes.
Materials and methods
We studied Prothrombin gene G20210A mutation, Factor V Leiden, deficiencies in protein S and C and antithrombin in 930 Caucasian infertile women referred to Fertility Center of the Department of Sciences for Woman and Child's Health, University of Florence, of whom 230 with unexplained, 195 female and 283 male infertility, and in 240 women who have conceived naturally without hormonal stimulation therapy.
A significant relationship between inherited thrombophilia [OR 95%CI 1.97 (1.05-3.68), p=0.03] and unexplained infertility was observed, whereas no association between thrombophilia and female and male infertility was found. Significantly higher prevalence of prothrombin gene mutation in unexplained infertile women in comparison to that observed in fertile women was observed (5.7% vs 2.1% p=0.04); the prevalence of the other thrombophilia determinants was higher, even if not significantly, in the unexplained infertile group.
This study demonstrates the relationship between inherited thrombophilia and unexplained infertility, thus suggesting the contribution of genetic components in modulating unexplained infertility, behind anovulation, male and tubal factor.
Abbreviations:PC (protein C), PS (protein S), AT (antithrombin), FVL (Factor V Leiden), PT (prothrombin gene)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Thrombosis Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The "ART" of thromboembolism: a review of assisted reproductive technology and thromboembolic complications.Thromb Res. 2008; 121: 713-726
- Report of the Meeting on the Prevention of Infertility at the Primary Health care Level.WHO, Geneva1983 ([WHO/MCH/1984.4])
- The relative contribution of IVF to the total ongoing pregnancy rate in a subfertile cohort.Hum Reprod. 2010; 25: 118-126
- Unexplained infertility: does it really exist? Does it matter?.Hum Reprod. 2007; 22: 2084-2087
- Inherited thrombophilia in infertile women: implication in unexplained infertility.Fertil Steril. 2010; 94: 755-757
- Thrombophilic gene polymorphisms are risk factors for unexplained infertility.Fertil Steril. 2009; 91: 1516-1517
- Inherited thrombophilia and in vitro fertilization implantation failure.Fertil Steril. 2001; 76: 201-202
- Embryo implantation after assisted reproductive procedures and maternal thrombophilia.Haematologica. 2003; 88: 789-793
- Increased rates of thrombophilia in women with repeated IVF failures.Hum Reprod. 2004; 19: 368-370
- Acquired and inherited thrombophilia: implication in recurrent IVF and embryo transfer failure.Hum Reprod. 2006; 21: 2694-2698
- Multiple thrombophilic gene mutations are risk factors for implantation failure.Reprod Biomed Online. 2006; 12: 322-327
- Optimal evaluation of the infertile female.Fertil Steril. 2006; 86: S264-S267
- The role of thrombophilia and thyroid autoimmunity in unexplained infertility, implantation failure and recurrent spontaneous abortion.Hum Reprod. 2008; 23: 278-284
- Increased sperm count may account for high population frequency of factor V Leiden.J Thromb Haemost. 2010; 8: 513-516
- Factor V Leiden and prothrombin gene G20210A mutation and in vitro fertilization: prospective cohort study.Hum Reprod. 2011; 26: 3068-3077
- Human ovarian follicular fluid has functional systems for the generation and modulation of thrombin.Fertil Steril. 2000; 73: 848-854
- Linkage analysis demonstrates that the prothrombin G20210A mutation jointly influences plasma prothrombin levels and risk of thrombosis.Blood. 2000; 95: 2780-2785
- Hemostasis parameters during ovarian stimulation for in vitro fertilization: results of a prospective study.Fertil Steril. 1997; 67: 104-109
- Evaluation of the protein C global assay during normal pregnancy and after assisted reproduction.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 115: 969-974
- Effect of in vitro fertilization treatment and subsequent pregnancy on the protein C pathway.Br J Haematol. 2001; 115: 400-407
- A review of upper extremity deep vein thrombosis in pregnancy: unmasking the 'ART' behind the clot.J Thromb Haemost. 2006; 4: 1673-1677
- Pregnancy-associated thrombosis.Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2009; : 277-285
- Efficacy of low molecular weight heparin in patients undergoing in vitro fertilization or intracytoplasmic sperm injection.J Thromb Haemost. 2011; 9: 2503-2506
- Effects and effectiveness of heparin in assisted reproduction.J Reprod Immunol. 2011; 90: 82-90
Published online: March 16, 2012
Accepted: February 19, 2012
Received in revised form: February 10, 2012
Received: November 14, 2011
© 2012 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.