- •Risk factors for PICC DVT were modeled in a nested case–control design.
- •Granular electronic medical records and logstic regression models were used.
- •PICC-DVT was associated with prior VTE, surgery of any duration, and PICC diameter.
- •Aspirin and statin therapy during hospitalization reduced risk of PICC-DVT.
- •Pharmacologic VTE prophylaxis trended towards reducing risk of PICC-DVT.
Design, Setting & Patients
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Peripherally inserted central catheters: use at a tertiary care pediatric center.J Vasc Interv Radiol. Sep 2013; 24: 1323-1331
- Incidence and predictive factors of symptomatic thrombosis related to peripherally inserted central catheters in chemotherapy patients.Thromb Res. 2012; 130: 323-326
- Venous thrombosis associated with peripherally inserted central catheters: a retrospective analysis of the Cleveland Clinic experience.Clin Infect Dis. 2002; 34: 1179-1183
- Which central venous catheters have the highest rate of catheter-associated deep venous thrombosis: a prospective analysis of 2,128 catheter days in the surgical intensive care unit.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013; 74: 454-462
- The clinical significance of peripherally inserted central venous catheter-related deep vein thrombosis.Neurocrit Care. 2011; 15: 454-460
- Risk of venous thromboembolism associated with peripherally inserted central catheters: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2013; 382: 311-325
- Risk of symptomatic DVT associated with peripherally inserted central catheters.Chest. Oct 2010; 138: 803-810
- Insertion of PICCs with minimum number of lumens reduces complications and costs.J Am Coll Radiol. Nov 2013; 10: 864-868
- Incidence of central vein stenosis and occlusion following upper extremity PICC and port placement.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2003; 26: 123-127
- Association between prior peripherally inserted central catheters and lack of functioning arteriovenous fistulas: a case–control study in hemodialysis patients.Am J Kidney Dis. 2012; 60: 601-608
- Pulmonary embolism from upper extremity deep vein thrombosis and the role of superior vena cava filters: a review of the literature.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2010; 21: 779-787
- Risk of venous thromboembolism in hospitalized patients with peripherally inserted central catheters.J Hosp Med. Sep 2009; 4: 417-422
- Derivation and validation of a simple model to identify venous thromboembolism risk in medical patients.Am J Med. 2011; 124: 947-954
- A risk assessment model for the identification of hospitalized medical patients at risk for venous thromboembolism: the padua prediction score.J Thromb Haemost. 2010; 8: 2450-2457
- Peripherally inserted central catheter-related deep vein thrombosis: contemporary patterns and predictors.J Thromb Haemost. Jun 2014; 12: 847-854
- Incidence and acute complications of asymptomatic central venous catheter-related deep venous thrombosis in critically ill children.J Pediatr. Feb 2013; 162: 387-391
- Anticoagulation for patients with cancer and central venous catheters.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; 4: CD006468
- Peripherally inserted central catheter-related deep vein thrombosis: contemporary patterns and predictors.J Thromb Haemost. 2014; 12: 847-854
- Prevention of VTE in nonsurgical patients: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines.Chest. Feb 2012; 141: e195S-e226S
- Anticoagulation for central venous catheters in patients with cancer.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1362-1363
- Risk factors associated with peripherally inserted central venous catheter-related large vein thrombosis in neurological intensive care patients.Intensive Care Med. 2012; 38: 272-278
- Reduction of peripherally inserted central catheter-associated DVT.Chest. Mar 2013; 143: 627-633
- Statin use and venous thromboembolism recurrence: a combined nationwide cohort and nested case–control study.J Thromb Haemost. Aug 2014; 12: 1207-1215
- Statins for primary prevention of venous thromboembolism.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; 12: CD008203
- Aspirin versus low-molecular-weight heparin for extended venous thromboembolism prophylaxis after total hip arthroplasty: a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 800-806
- Risk factors for catheter-related thrombosis (CRT) in cancer patients: a patient-level data (IPD) meta-analysis of clinical trials and prospective studies.J Thromb Haemost. Feb 2011; 9: 312-319
- Epidemiology and prevention of catheter-related thrombosis in patients with cancer.J Thromb Haemost. Aug 2012; 10: 1491-1499
- Catheter-associated deep vein thrombosis of the upper extremity in cancer patients: guidance from the SSC of the ISTH.J Thromb Haemost. May 2014; 12: 796-800
- A comparison of infections and complications in central venous catheters in adults with solid tumours.J Vasc Access. Sep 1 2014; 0: 0
- Incidence of thrombosis in children with tunneled central venous access devices versus peripherally inserted central catheters (PICCs).Thromb Res. Nov 2013; 132: 527-530
- Does prophylactic anticoagulation prevent PICC-related upper extremity venous thrombosis? A case–control study.J Infus Nurs. Sep-Oct 2014; 37: 381-385
- Screening for novel risk factors related to peripherally inserted central catheter-associated complications.J Hosp Med. Aug 2014; 9: 481-489
- The incidence of PICC line-associated thrombosis with and without the use of prophylactic anticoagulants.JPEN J Parenter Enter Nutr. Jul-Aug 2008; 32: 443-447
- Statins are Associated with Low Risk of Venous Thromboembolism in Patients with Cancer: A Prospective and Observational Cohort Study.Thromb Res. Nov 2014; 134: 1008-1013
☆Funding: No funding was received for this study. Dr. Chopra is supported by a career development award (1-K08-HS022835-01) from the Agency of Healthcare Research and Quality.