- •We evaluated the outcome of long-term therapy with fondaparinux in VTE patients.
- •The 10-day outcome was similar to that of patients treated with heparins.
- •The 90-day outcome was similar to that of cancer patients treated with LMWHs.
- •A 90-day high major bleeding rate was observed in non-cancer fondaparinux patients.
- •No relevant conclusions can be derived on the few enrolled cancer patients.
Abbreviations:VTE (venous thromboembolism), LMWH (low molecular weight heparin), UFH (unfractioned heparin), VKA (vitamin k antagonists), RIETE (Registro Informatizado de Enfermedad TromboEmbólica), DVT (deep vein thrombosis), PE (pulmonary embolism), CUS (compressive ultrasonography), IU (international units), SD (standard deviation), CrCl (creatinine clearance), CI (confidence intervals)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Anticoagulant drugs in the treatment of pulmonary embolism A controlled trial.Lancet. 1960; 1: 1309-1312
- Acenocoumarol and heparin compared with acenocoumarol alone in the initial treatment of proximal vein thrombosis.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 1485-1489https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199211193272103
- A comparison of six weeks with six months of oral anticoagulant therapy after a first episode of venous thromboembolism Duration of Anticoagulation Trial Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1995; 332: 1661-1665https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199506223322501
- A meta-analysis comparing low-molecular-weight heparins with unfractionated heparin in the treatment of venous thromboembolism: examining some unanswered questions regarding location of treatment, product type, and dosing frequency.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 181-188https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.160.2.181
- Subcutaneous fondaparinux versus intravenous unfractionated heparin in the initial treatment of pulmonary embolism.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 1695-1702https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa03545
- Fondaparinux or enoxaparin for the initial treatment of symptomatic deep venous thrombosis: a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 140: 867-873https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-140-11-200406010-0000
- Fixed dose subcutaneous low molecular weight heparins versus adjusted dose unfractionated heparin for venous thromboembolism.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; 9: CD001100https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD001100.pub3
- Influence of preceding duration of anticoagulant treatment and initial presentation of venous thromboembolism on risk of recurrence after stopping therapy: analysis of individual participants’ data from seven trials.BMJ. 2011; 342: d3036https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d3036
- 2008 French national guidelines for the treatment of venous thromboembolism in patients with cancer: report from the working group.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2010; 73: 31-46https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2008.12.004
- Antithrombotic therapy for VTE disease. Antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis (9th Edition): American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2012; 141: e419S-e494Shttps://doi.org/10.1378/chest.11-2301
- Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis and treatment in patients with cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guideline Update.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 2189-2204https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2013.49.1118
- Low molecular weight heparin versus acenocoumarol in the secondary prophylaxis of deep vein thrombosis.Thromb Haemost. 1999; 81 ([PubMed PMID: 9974369]): 26-31
- Low molecular weight heparin versus oral anticoagulants in the long term treatment of deep venous thrombosis.J Vasc Surg. 2001; 33: 77-90https://doi.org/10.1067/mva.2001.109336
- Comparison of low molecular-weight heparin and warfarin for the secondary prevention of venous thromboembolism in patients with cancer: a randomized controlled study.Arch Intern Med. 2002; 162: 1729-1735https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.162.15.1729
- Vitamin K antagonists or low-molecular-weight heparin for the long-term treatment of symptomatic venous thromboembolism.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. Oct 17 2012; 10: CD002001https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD002001.pub2
- Randomized Comparison of Low-Molecular-Weight Heparin versus Oral Anticoagulant Therapy for the Prevention of Recurrent Venous Thromboembolism in Patients with Cancer (CLOT) Investigators. Low-molecular-weight heparin versus a coumarin for the prevention of recurrent venous thromboembolism in patients with cancer.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 146-153https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa025313
- Low-molecular-weight heparin for the long-term treatment of symptomatic venous thromboembolism: meta-analysis of the randomized comparisons with oral anticoagulants.J Thromb Haemost. 2003; 1 (PubMed PMID: 12941030): 1906-1913
- How I, treat venous thromboembolism in patients with cancer.Blood. 2005; 106: 4027-4033https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2005-04-1508
- Secondary prevention of venous thromboembolic events in patients with active cancer: enoxaparin alone versus initial enoxaparin followed by warfarin for a 180-day period.Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2006; 12: 389-396https://doi.org/10.1177/1076029606293692
- Self-managed long-term low-molecular-weight heparin therapy: the balance of benefits and harms.Am J Med. 2007; 120: 72-82https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2006.03.030
- Home therapy of venous thrombosis with long-term LMWH versus usual care: patient satisfaction and post-thrombotic syndrome.Am J Med. 2009; 122: 762-769https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2008.12.023
- A randomised open-label trial comparing long-term sub-cutaneous low molecular- weight heparin compared with oral-anticoagulant therapy in the treatment of deep venous thrombosis.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2009; 37: 349-356https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejvs.2008.11.030
- Anticoagulation for the initial treatment of venous thromboembolism in patients with cancer.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. Jun 19 2014; 6: CD006649https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006649.pub6
- Fondaparinux - data on efficacy and safety in special situations.Thromb Res. Apr 2012; 129: 407-417https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2011.10.037
- Pentasaccharides in the prophylaxis and treatment of venous thromboembolism: a systematic review.Curr Opin Pulm Med. Sep 2004; 10 ([PubMed PMID: 15316429]): 338-344
- Computerized registry of patients with thromboembolic disease in Spain (RIETE): background, objectives, methods, and preliminary results.Rev Clin Esp. Feb 2003; 203 ([PubMed PMID: 12605778]): 68-73
- The outcome after treatment of venous thromboembolism is different in surgical and acutely ill medical patients. Findings from the RIETE registry.J Thromb Haemost. Nov 2004; 2: 1892-1898https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-7836.2004.01012.x
- A simple approach for detection of recurrent proximal vein thrombosis.Circulation. 1993; 88: 1730-1735https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.88.4.1730
- Fatal pulmonary embolism and fatal bleeding in cancer patients with venous thromboembolism: findings from the RIETE registry.J Thromb Haemost. 2006; 4: 1950-1956https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-7836.2006.02082.x
- Predicting recurrences or major bleeding in cancer patients with venous thromboembolism. Findings from the RIETE Registry.Thromb Haemost. 2008; 100: 435-439https://doi.org/10.1160/TH08-02-0125
- Propensity score methods for bias reduction in the comparison of a treatment to a non-randomized control group.Stat Med. 1998; 17: 2265-2281https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19981015)17:19<2265::AID-SIM918>3.0.CO;2-B
- Propensity score matching in SPSS.[Accessed June 16, 2014. arXiv:1201.6385 [stat.AP].])
- FondaKIDS II: Long-term Follow-up Data of Children Receiving Fondaparinux for Treatment of Venous Thromboembolic Events.Thromb Res. 2014; 134: 643-647https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2014.07.026