This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A new role for platelets in fibrinolysis is proposed. Platelets (euglobulin from platelet rich plasma and from human platelet extract) may potentiate plasminogen activation by tissue plasminogen activator(tPA). The potentiating activity was detected by both chromogenic substrate and fibrin plate analysis. The fibrinolysispotentiating substance in the platelets required the presence of both tPA and plasminogen, suggesting that it potentiates the activation of plasminogen by tPA. This substance was not related to fibrinogen degradation products because it was also present in platelets from two afibrinogenemic patients and did not lose its activity when separated from fibrinogen-related antigen by Sepharose 2B gel filtration. Since platelets contain both activator(s) and inhibitor(s) of plasminogen activation by tPA, a balance between activator(s) and inhibitor(s) in platelets may also be required for control of the fibrinolytic pathway.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Thrombosis Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The existence antifibrinolysin in platelets.Science. 1953; 117: 229-230
- Plaquettes sangulnes et fibrinolyse.Pathol. Biol. J. 1961; : 1501-1510
- Platelets and fibrinolysis.Thrombos. Haemostas. (Stuttg.). 1977; 38: 955-962
- Role of platelets in lysis of dilute plasma clots, requirement for metabolically active platelets.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1979; 94: 285-294
- An inhibitor of plasminogen activator in human platelets.Haemostasis. 1984; 39 (abstract): 14
- Human platelets release a fast-acting inhibitor of tissue-type plasminogen activator(t-PA) and urokinase(UK).Thrombos. Haemostas. 1985; 54 (abstract): 48
- Immunologic studies of platelet proteins.Blood. 1965; 25: 703-716
- Studies on human platelet proteins.Clin. Chim. Acta. 1967; 17: 153-161
- Influence of blood platelets on fibrinolysis.Thromb. Diath. Haemorrh. 1961; 6: 196-214
- Fibrin network structure; modification by platelet.Thrombos. Haemostas. (Stuttg.). 1983; 49: 42-46
- Purification and characterization of the plasminogen activator secreted by melanoma cells in culture.J. Biol. Chem. 1981; 256: 7035-7041
- A sensitive assay for tissue plasminogen activator.Thrombosis Res. 1982; 27: 743-749
- Activation of plasminogen by tissue activator is increased specifically in the presence of certain soluble fibrin(ogen) fragments.Thrombosis Res. 1982; 27: 377-388
- Importance of the interaction between plasminogen and fibrin for plasminogen activation by tissue-type plasminogen activator.Thrombosis Res. 1984; 36: 345-351
- Platelets plasminogen and potentiate its activation.Haemostasis. 1984; 14 (abstract): 48
Accepted: September 18, 1985
Received: July 2, 1984
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.