This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Mesenteries of mice under anesthesia were stretched over an inverted microscope. A micropipette filled with solution containing various concentrations of ADP or thrombin was brought into contact with the outside of a mesenteric vein by micromanipulation, and then poured over the outer surface of the vein. Morphological characteristics of the thrombi and the time needed for thrombus formation were examined. Application of either thrombin or ADP to the adventitia of mesenteric veins caused thrombus formation. Although thrombi by application of ADP seemed to be anchored by direct adhesion of platelets to the exposed subendothelium, thrombi by application of thrombin seemed to be anchored by deposited fibrin.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Thrombosis Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mechanisms in thrombosis.in: Bloom A.L. Thomas D.P. Haemostasis and Thrombosis. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1981: 503-526
- Fibrinogen and adenosine diphosphate-induced aggregation of platelets.Nature. 1964; 202: 605-606
- Growth rate in vivo of platelet thrombi, produced by iontophoresis of ADP, as a function of mean blood flow velocity.Nature. 1970; 227: 926-930
- A quantative method using continuous recording of platelet thrombus size in hamster cheek pouch.Microvasc. Res. 1981; 22: 199-209
- Fibrinogen and fibrin.in: Bloom A.L. Thomas D.P. Haemostasis and Thrombosis. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh1981: 163-191
- The effect of thrombin on platelet accumulation on the vessel wall — Influence of heparin and aspirin.Thromb. Haemostas. 1983; 50: 567-571
- Microvascular alterations in thrombin-induced experimental disseminated intravascular coagulation in the dog.Angiology. 1984; 35: 261-268
- Passage of substances across the walls of blood vessels: Kinetics and mechanism.in: 5th edition. Microcirculation. Vol. 1. University Park Press, Baltimore1977: 213-247
- The subendothelial microfibril and platelet adhesion.Lab. Invest. 1971; 24: 179-186
- Characterization of the thrombin-induced contraction of vascular smooth muscle.Blood Vessels. 1984; 21: 53-63
- Erythrocyte flow velocities in mesenteric microvessels of the cat.Microvasc. Res. 1970; 2: 151-162
Accepted: September 3, 1985
Received: June 7, 1985
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.