This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
To evaluate the role of fibronectin (Fn) in factor VIII (FVIII) and von Willebrand factor (vWf) cryoprecipitation, factor VIII procoagulant activity, factor VIII coagulant antigen, factor VIII-related antigen and von Willebrand ristocetin cofactor activity were measured in cryoprecipitate and cryosupernatant from normal and Fn-depleted plasmas. Following cryoprecipitation of normal plasmas, most of the FVIII and almost all the FvWf recovered were found with a part of Fn and of fibrinogen in cryoprecipitate. Fn-depleted plasmas prepared either by affinity chromatography on gelatin or by immunoadsorption on monoclonal anti-Fn antibodies behaved differently : although their cryoprecipitate contained normal fibrinogen levels, neither FVIII nor FvWf was precipitated. Experiments performed with Fn-depleted plasma to which purified fibronectin had been added, and samples of plasma with decreased Fn levels (0.01 to 0.2 g/l) suggest that there is a relation between initial Fn level and the extent of FVIII/vWf cryoprecipitation. We conclude that Fn, like fibrinogen, is necessary to induce cryoprecipitation of FVIII/vWf and that an initial plasma level of 0.2 g/l is sufficient to obtain good recovery of FVIII/vWf in cryoprecipitate.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Thrombosis Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- High potency antihemophilic factor concentrate prepared from cryoglobulin precipitate.Nature. 1964; 203: 312-319
- Fractionation of plasma with polyethylene glycol.Vox. Sang. 1972; 23: 107-118
- Segragation of proteins and sodium in human plasma upon freezing.Vox. Sang. 1983; 414: 238-245
- Distribution of plasma fibronectin (CIG) and components of the factor VIII complex after heparin-induced precipitation of plasma.Blood. 1982; 59: 657-663
- Fibronectin in blood products.in: An in vitro and in vivo study. J. Clin. Pathol.36. 1983: 1377-1381
- Nouvelle méthode de diagnostic de l'hémophilie.in: Dosage des facteurs antihémophiliques A et B. Sang.24. 1953: 205-215
- Immunoradiometric assay of factor VIII:coagulant antigen using four human antibodies.in: Study of 27 cases of haemophilia A. Brit. J. Haematol.47. 1981: 269-282
- Dosage de l'antigéne lié au facteur VIII par la technique ELISA.in: Interet dans l'étude de la maladie de Willebrand. Path. Biol.25. 1977: 18-24 (suppl.)
- Etude de l'antigéne lié au facteur VIII (FVIIIR:Ag).in: Purification par chromatographie d'immuno-affinité. C.R. Acad. Sc. Paris. 288. 1979: 1431-1434
- Willebrand factor and ristocetin. II : Relationship between Willebrand factor, Willebrand antigen and factor VIII activity.Brit. J. Haematol. 1974; 28: 579-589
- Density gradient separation of human platelets from plasma and the role of plasmas in adenosine diphosphate induced platelet electrophoretic mobility changes.Thromb. Diath. Haemorrh. 1972; 27: 425-433
- Etude comparative de trois techniques de dosage de la fibronectine plasmatique.in: Résultats chez le sujet normal. Rev. Fr. Transfus. Immunohématol.26. 1983: 135-145
- Binding of soluble form of fibroblast surface protein, fibronectin, to collagen.Int. J. Cancer. 1977; 20: 1-5
- Heterogeneity of human factor VIII. I : Characterization of factor VIII present in the supernatant of cryoprecipitate.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1978; 91: 32-46
- Heterogeneity of human factor VIII. III : Transitions between forms of factor VIII present in cryoprecipitate and in cryosupernatant plasma.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1980; 95: 323-334
- The effects of storage of whole blood on the association of factor VIII-related antigen and factor VIII-coagulant antigen.Scand. J. Haematol. 1982; 29: 353-362
- The fractionation properties of human factor VIII (anti-hemophilic factor).Thromb. Diath. Haemorrh. 1960; 4: 253-260
- Interactions among heparin, cold insoluble globulin, and fibrinogen in formation of the heparin precipitable fraction of plasma.J. Clin. Invest. 1977; 60: 855-865
- The association of FVIII and fibronectin investigated by radiocrossed immunoelectrophoresis of FVIII clinical concentrates (abstract).in: Symposium on factor VIII/von Willebrand factor, San DiegoOctober 7–9 1982
Accepted: December 20, 1984
Received: July 27, 1984
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.