This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Changes in fibrinolysis, platelets and coagulation during hypothermia were investigated in anesthetized dogs. Strong activation of plasma fibrinolysis was observed in the hypothermia group. The maximum fibrinolytic activity determined with standard fibrin plates was markedly higher than that of the control sample (mean values: 67 and 15 mm2/0.03 ml plasma, respectively). On the other hand, no fibrinolysis was observed by the plasminogen free plate method. Activation was not observed in the control group or the hypothermia group premedicated with chlorpromazine. The platelet count was decreased from 100% to 14.7% and the collagen induced platelet aggregability from 61% to 2.3% during hypothermia. Recovery from both reductions occurred on rewarming. In the control and premedicated groups, the recalcification time was reduced progressively (from 93.6 to 60.9 sec and from 101.1 to 71.8 sec as mean times, respectively). The tendencey towards shortening of the recalcification time was not related to the core temperature.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Thrombosis Research
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Changes in blood cellular elements during hypothermia.Surgery. 1955; 38: 843-846
- Repair of arterial septal defects in man under direct vision with the aid of hypothermia.Surgery. 1954; 36: 538-556
- Prolonged experimental occlusion of thoracic aorta during hypothermia.A. M. A. Arch. Surg. 1955; 70: 95-97
- Brain cooling in the prevention of brain damage during period of circulatory occlusion in dogs.Ann. Surg. 1954; 140: 284-289
- Coronary perfusion for longer period of cardiac occlusion under hypothermia.J. Thorac. Srug. 1955; 30: 598-606
- Hypothermia in surgery: Analysis of 100 clinical cases.Ann. Surg. 1955; 142: 382-400
- Changes in coagulation occurring in dogs during hypothermia and cardiac surgery.Surgery. 1957; 41: 198-210
- Study of basic physiologic changes associated with hypothermia.A. M. A. Arch. Surg. 1955; 70: 87-94
- Experimental evaluation of prolonged hypothermia.A. M. A. Arch. Surg. 1955; 71: 431-449
- Plasma volume, bleeding and clotting time in hypothermic dogs.in: Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med.87. 1954: 194-195
- The fibrin plate method for estimating fibrinolytic activity.Archiv. Biochem. Biophys. 1952; 40: 346-351
- Plasminogen: Purification from human plasma by affinity chromatography.Science. 1970; 170: 1095-1096
- A new method for the determination of the fibrin percentage in blood and plasma.J. Biol. Chem. 1921; 49: 279-295
- Heparin cofactor activity measured with an amidolytic method.Thromb. Res. 1975; 6: 287
- Evaluation of an amidolytic heparin cofactor method.Thromb. Res. 1975; 7: 351
- A cause of the thrombocytopenia and leukopenia that occur in during deep hypothermia.J. Clin. Invest. 1958; 37: 1-7
- Hepatic and splenic platelet sequestration during deep hypothermia in the dog.Haemostasis. 1973/74; 2: 235-244
- Releasing mechanism of plasminogen activator of vascular wall by the method of perfusion of the isolated hind leg of dog.J. Physiol. Soc. Jap. 1974; 36: 499-507
- Plasminogen activator release by the K+ rich solution.Thrombos. Res. 1976; 8: 91-96
- Calcium dependent and independent release of plasminogen activator from the vascular wall.Thrombos. Res. 1977; 10: 765-770
- Plasminogen activator release with experimental vasoconstrictions in the isolated perfused dog leg.Kobe J. Med. Sci. 1978; 24: 1-16
- Hematologic changes in hypothermic dogs.in: Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med.89. 1955: 192-196
- Extracorporea perfusion without anticoagulation and the response to endotoxin.Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 1979; 148: 679-684
- In vivo release of a heparin-like factor in dogs during profound hypothermia.J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 1981; 82: 45-48
Accepted: December 3, 1984
Received in revised form: October 31, 1984
Received: August 10, 1984
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.